Sunday 25 October 2009

Layout inspirations 2 - Ashburton

Ashburton by John Birkett-Smith
Viewed at The International N Gauge Show 2006
Featured in Model Railway Journal #94 (April) 1997

 
Photo by Des Brailsford



For me this was the stand-out layout at The International N Gauge Show in 2006. What captivated me about this GWR branch layout was the scenery. The grass looked like real grass! I spent 10 minutes just taking in the view, then realised that the operator had gone off for a tea break and no trains were running. It didn’t seem to matter. I hunted down a copy of the MRJ feature, which reveals a clever baseboard construction approach and a sector plate that swivels under the scenery - not something I’d seen before (nor can I describe it well either!).

Anyway, check out John’s web site of the layout here.

No comments:

Post a Comment